Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In the heat of summer sunshine

"Hey, you free on Monday?"
"Yeah, I guess. Why?"
"Wanna go Malacca?"
"Whoa. Sure!"

We took sun-bathing a whole notch higher, beh-bay! We literally soaked up the sun! Nothing beats risking a sun-stroke :) Nah. It wasn't that scorching, more like glaring. And the occasional breeze kept the heat at bay when we were sizzling under the sun's blistering mercy. Though I would not have complained if we WERE roasted and grilled to the bones, much preferable than being rained on, non? Imagine fleeing from shop to shop, not being able to roam on the streets freely, and then squirming uncomfortably for the rest of the day in clothes with wet patches of rain. Ugh. The only times I enjoy getting drenched thoroughly are:
a) a pool party
b) I have a change of clothes at hand
c) I'm not having any electronic gadgets or non-waterproof objects on me

But the skies were generous today. There wasn't a tinge of grey in the clouds :) Too bad we boarded a typical-Malaysian bus in the morning, potong our steam for a moment. That dumb guy conned us that the bus was leaving at 8.30am but, voila, it departed at 9am, being all adamant about filling up the seats. No wonder Malaysia's public transportation has always been a constant down turner.

We're on an adventure, Charlieeeeeee!

From the terminal in Malacca, we hijacked another degraded bus to Jonker Street!

Seriously, I could hear the seats squeaked as our butts sunk low into the cushion.


The square (or whatever it is called)!
Jing Hua, Eu Chern, me, Joanna

Such humour insight to the minds of the people in the olden days





By the time we were done entertaining ourselves with the fountain, cam-whoring and holy-ing ourselves in the church, we were, more or less, fazed by hunger. To the Jonker Street! Eu Chern directed and we stalked along like the living dead.






I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts! Erm. I mean A lovely coconut. HAHA. That sounds wrong.

Wandered down the street for a while, pausing, at first, at every single shop, then the amount dwindled with our growing thirst, till we just simply dived headlong for the cendol store. Mamma mia, we found heaven :)

Candy mountains, Charlieeeeeee!


Can you believe these 2 skinny things had THREE bowls of cendols?! OK. They weren't BIG bowls, but still. Sweet stuff takes up A LOT of space in the stomach, which is why desserts are always served at the end of a meal.




Goreng-goreng me likes :)



And out we went again, to bask in the full glory of stinging rays of sunlight.



At a point that I was only vaguely aware of, we couldn't tolerate the heat anymore and seeked shelter from Dataran Pahlawan. To be honest, the reason I squealed and reeled in shock about entering the mall was that I genuinely thought it was an open-air location, not a shopping mall. I mean, 'Dataran' makes me think of the forsaken Dataran Merdeka and the shimmering heat. So it wasn't because I didn't welcome the blast of cool air, I just didn't expect a shopping mall with that name. Yes, I've been living under a rock, as far as places in Malaysia are concerned.



Screw that face.

Mine fits better. LoL.

Me: Teehee! We're in Mahkota Parade!
Eu Chern: *Disgusted* Purple homos bumping their stomachs seductively


Lost?

Somehow it was decided, perhaps through telepathy and my connection was down, we should give this Solero Shot-lookalike a go. The next thing I knew, I paid 10 bucks and was in the queue waiting for the ride.






Up, up and away! Seriously, I initially freaked out. Stupid, stupid acrophobia.



That thing, what do you think? It rocks! Ah.Ha.


Then, more walking. Awed by the many wonderful locations to cam-whore.

What WAS with these people?!



A matching colour of blue and white

Ditto. Though reversed.



Took a detour up and over St. Paul.
Bottoms up!







Ah. A' Famosa. Heavily fragranted with the scent of cat piss.



Just envision I'm holding a flag, k?

And our last eventful stop of the day: Satay colok (do correct me if I've misspelt)! Quite worth it I suppose, after all the trouble of locating the shop, no thanks to the already-sleeping Jonker Street by 6pm.









Cam-whored a little while in the midst of searching for the dessert store earlier. Two particular people were craving for a fourth bowl of cendol.


Settled at one of the last few shops that were still open. Not too satisfied, sadly.





Breathtaking, isn't it? Taken by Jing Hua. There's one more similarly beautiful, captured by Joanna, but it's on Facebook. You're welcome to check it out.

Last group shot at the terminal.
Bought the 8pm ticket but the bus wasn't there after we came out from the toilet. Unnerved us a little.




Hoooooooomeeeeee!


Freaky, eh?

No comments: