We were drained of energy from practices, exhausted from the long drag of classes, to the point that our legs felt like giving away if we so much as lift either off the ground, which explained Zalina’s annoyance during rehearsals. “My God! That is NOT walking! That is the shuffling of a barbaric non-music society! FUCK OFF, FUCK OFF!” Some of us giggled “Try the stage again!”
10 minutes later.
“God, I swear! If you fuckers don’t sing up, I seriously WILL throw something at you!” But as she was hollering, she was already picking a coffin-shaped box and began firing candies at those suffering from restlessness or verbal diarrhea, namely Emma and gang. She squealed with joy while Emma shrieked in pain as one of the Halloween sugary delights met a bull’s eye right on his forehead.
God, I swear, I’m going to miss her choir classes. The theatre games, the mambo lessons, the contemporary vocal techniques, the screeching and swearing the pulsing liveliness of the class (compared to the corpse-dead ones I had for the past 4 semesters) and, of course, her. The other 2 choir lecturers were so…rigid, by-the-book, boring that even your watch provided more excitement than them. And I love lecturers with perfect English. Trust me, that way, their lessons, and attempted jokes, actually made sense.
Anyway, today’s choir concert was the most screwed up concert in history. Prende la Vela was a disaster. I hadn’t gotten around viewing the video my bro took of us, but I bet we sounded more like the monstrous gurgling of some wide river than the sensual voices of a half-trained contemporary choir singing a Latin American song. Hallelujah and Ain’t Misbehavin’ were better I guess.
But whatever. I had more fun than I ever thought possible for a choir performance (more so during rehearsals since I didn’t need to worry about my dress slipping down with every little movement then). Plus, everyone looked special and stood out as a choir as well as individually, AND we didn’t appear like, in Zalina’s words, a huge black mass of nothingness on stage.
Sigh. 2 more semesters of morbid clad-in-black UNDERCLASSICAL choir, since my horrendous vocals wouldn’t be able to get me a place in the contemporary elite choir. FML.
Top: Chien Hui, Hsiau Wung, Hui Yi, Ee Ling
Bottom: Huay May, me, Shu En, Jia Wen, Sheena
Both group shots credits to Eunice Gee
Kar Yen and Huay May
Irene and Kar Yen
Chu Ying and me, photo-bombed by Hueyuen
Rebecca, aka Rabbit, and Jia Wen
Li Ling
Hooi Ching
Jie Ying, Minji and Rachel
Rachel, Audrey and Eunice
Eugene Koh, aka Laughing Gor
The May 2008 intakes, with some intruders
Derene and Seong Seong



No comments:
Post a Comment