Monday, October 11, 2010

All the small things, true care, truth brings

I always marvel at life’s choices of gifts and its uncannily perfect delivery. Like my band this semester. It may not have come in sparkly ribbons and glossy wrapping papers, in other words, the star players around, but the present sure is priceless. Take Jia Wai for example, or more popularly known as Wai Ma for his tendency to be motherly, to put it gently. To quote him, which we seem to be doing more and more often ever since the start of the term:

“Oh my, oh my God.”
好笑吗? . . ??”
你没有开电, 椹么样开keyboard?!  . . . . Keyboard?! “

His infamous habit to be repetitive made him sound as if he were nagging, hence the infectious feminine nickname. Not to mention his pissing us off asserting his presence in an annoying-slash-amusing manner by causing a helluva noise throughout band practice, which means our discussions were always being serenaded to the mocking tune of My Heart Will Go On or driven by the amateur random roll of drums.

Let’s not go into his distasteful comments regarding his ‘disposition’ of saliva from his trumpet. Ugh.

Yes. 世上只有Wai Ma.

Of course, the other band members are closer to norm, though I can’t say much for their state of mind during practices. Jia Wen and Kah Mun say the craziest things sometimes, but I’ll put the blame on Wai Ma. Influence could be a dangerous element in the equation of quizzes/performances, stress, expectations and relationship between band mates.

Ah, the absurdity of it; of depending on their delirium to keep my head attached to my body and stay focus. In the darken corner where I have been hibernating since most of my Sluts left, hanging out with Jia Wen, Kah Mun, Jia Wai and Minji is almost therapeutic. Not that I have been moping 24/7, it’s just that it’s hard to find people who emits the same frequency. Or maybe I’m being an ass and too stubborn to let go, or let people in.

God, I’m going to miss this band.   

Here’s a toast to Thorn and Roses, for our one and a half month journey together; for the ‘sweat’ and ‘saliva’ we’d dripped in the madness of completing 10 songs in 7 weeks; for the epic failures we’d encountered short cuts we’d taken; and for everything in between.

Thank you for helping me get through the semester, even though you may not know it (:

 Jia Wai and Minji

 Me and Kah Mun

Jia Wen (the one with the yellow tambourine)

No comments: