I broke off mid-sentence as I spun around and saw him striding toward us in that familiar gait of his. I did not know how I expected myself to feel, but at that moment, I was overwhelmed by an aching from missing him too much and needed to make sure he was not a mirage. So I did the only thing I wanted to, with a sense of urgency.
“CHEEEEEE KIIIIIIIIIIN!” I screeched at him and simultaneously into Jo’s ears, who babbled in excitement through the phone still clutched in my hand. Then I pounced into his outstretched arms, coiling my free arm around his shoulder and neck, while praising the skies, “Oh my gaaaaawd! Oh, my God!”
All that fear of awkwardness melted away under the heat of my elation. It felt so right, like how it was when I hugged Amanda that sweet early June night, Lucinda a couple of minutes ago, and Joanna and Jing Hua every time we met up. Fuzzy warm, safe, home.
I leaned into him, not caring who was staring, selfishly helping myself to his embrace to make up for those hugs I needed when the world was crazier than I am. I wanted to hang on for a little longer; perhaps, forever?
Finally, I reluctantly took a step back, feeling like a fizzy champagne flute, and, as Jing Hua aptly put it, smiling from my heart.
“How are you, gal!”
Awesome, I told him.
But no. I was not that. What I really wanted to say was, I feel amazing and beautiful because I am me now more than I have ever been for a while. And I am so full of love, Chee Kin! I am complete (:
No comments:
Post a Comment