The one thing better than finding a new song to get
obsessed over is digging up old tunes and rekindling the love you first felt
for them. Nothing like scrolling down your music files when you suddenly
experience an instinctual pull toward an album or an artiste whose songs you
have half-forgotten, and, overwhelmed by the need to answer the call of your
mouse pointer, you play the tracks. And then…bam. You are sucked into the
whirlpool of musical reminiscence, crying, “Oh sweet notes, how hath thy ears
forgotten thou?”
And you spend the next three or so hours being awed by
your indisputable taste in music. Not that I have ever stopped
being awed by everything I do.
I would, however, like to mention that I build my
playlist on the foundations of random clicking of YouTube music video links. While
I do get songs off the radio, to be googled and sung to shamelessly later, I
prefer opening my current favorite track on YouTube, blindfold myself as best I
could against prejudices, then trust my guts to expose my ears to new music. Thus,
a revisit to those discovered a year ago can be quite inspiring. Artistes like
Ed Sheeran, Bon Iver, Damien Rice, Mumford and Sons, and others I have came to
love, all began appearing in my Finger On Repeat Button file with a “Hey, that
song title sounds cute/interesting, let’s give it a listen!”
They are pretty much now a permanent resident on the expansive real estate of my external hard disk, should album collections of my idols equate to owning sprawling mansions, and single tracks of solo acts and bands sizing up to terrace houses.
I always appreciate an opportunity to admire my taste in
music throughout the years, that is constantly evolving and growing; a ‘notated’ diary reflecting
my mindset and thoughts during particular moments. But what I do not appreciate
is having my intuition decide three in the morning is a perfect time to take a
stroll, or a crawl, more like, down My Life’s Soundtrack lane.
As if my biological clock is not messed up already, never
mind the fact that my creativity spurts tend to happen only after midnight. They
say it is always darkest before the dawn. Lucky them, sleep comes easy when
your world is pitch black. For me, it is often as not flashing neon-rainbow
bright before the dawn; it is rather hard to doze with story ideas frying your
eyeballs crisp.
So, I am now reviving my Eric Hutchinson phase while
typing this out, inspired in parts by the familiar rhythm and melody, and by
the surge of neurological activity churning within my skull.
Next up, Augustana perhaps?
No comments:
Post a Comment