Friday, February 25, 2011

Beauty queen of only 18, she had some trouble with herself

Simmy, Emily,

Look at me, I am already halfway through my sixth semester in Degree and my playing is still a piece of unpolished rock. And you can't even begin to guess at how consumed I was all the time by fear; fear of disappointing my band mates. I never seemed to be good enough.

I am still not. But I have learnt not to be remorseful over everything. 

It is not I don't care, I just won't let failure eat me up from inside.

We can't control a lot of things and we can't predict what others would do; but we can control what is within us. Our heart and mind are what keeps us sane, not external factors. They will stay calm and at peace if you willed them to, the same as they will be tumultuous only if you enjoy keeping anger in them.   

So if you believe that you can perform well, then you WILL do so. 

Like today's assessment, I was sort of freaked out by all the performances before ours, I experienced the psychologically delusional need to use the washroom, and my fingers were quivering on stage. But hey, if I told you guys about it, I would only made things worse. So I joked, albeit dirty ones, and I acted anything but panic.

And I remembered what I learnt from Leverage: that no matter what people do to you, no matter the consequences and results, try not be affected too much because we can't control those things. Instead, use what you can control, your heart and mind, to perform, to reach out. 

So don't be daunted by our not-so-perfect assessment today. There are many more to come, if nothing but chances for us to practice till we get it right. 

It's not always rainbows and butterflies
It's compromise that moves us along
Maroon 5

No comments: