Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Climb



Hiking is physics, you know.

You judge the angle of the slope. You estimate the force and energy that you need to exert in order to attain the right momentum to launch you forward and upward. Plus, you need to take into account external factors like the condition of the ground beneath, whether the soggy soil would reduce the friction enough to slip through the grip of your shoes. In other words, watch your steps. Because every ounce of calculated strength and stress you weigh upon your body would pound out the consequence almost immediately.

Which was probably how I ended up puking. Twice.  

And it was so sudden. I mean, there wasn’t much warning, just slight dizziness, flashes of neon-colored spots and frantic deep inhalations of air even when I didn’t feel lack of oxygen, moments before I had to squat and vomit.

Hmmm. No wonder I had a sense of foreboding when I drank that cup of white coffee this morning (at 6am, God forbid).

YESIKNOWISHOULDHAVETAKENCEREALINSTEAD.

But I was so damn exhausted, being sleep deprived, and I didn’t want to be a sandbag that everyone had to haul up the hill, should lethargy overpower me. I needed the rush of adrenaline. And the intoxicating aroma snapped my eyelids wide open.

I still ended up being one, anyway. A sandbag, that is. Though it was after I spent the first 15 minutes pouncing from rock to rock, desperately stretching my limits to keep up. Aha.

Speaking of which, my million apologies for holding you guys up. Sowee, Fui Peng, Stephen! And a gazillion thank you and XOXO to Derene for patiently waiting as I retched and struggled to get my bearings (:

It says 6.30am.

 Derene and Stephen

Me and Fui Peng

Stairway to heaven or hell, I wonder

The steepness doesn't seem obvious here.



The somewhat peak with make shift tents and recreational tools





Band 11 (but Ashley couldn't make it coz she had Major class)



We are healthy, y'all!

It's officially breakfast time!




I can almost see it
That peak I am scaling
But there's a voice inside my head saying
"You'll never reach it"

Every step I'm taking
Every move I make feels
Weak and out of breath
My legs are shaking

But I gotta keep hiking 
Gotta keep pushing forward 

There's always gonna be another person 
I'm always gonna wanna take him over 
Always gonna be an uphill struggle 
Sometimes I'm gonna have to fall 

Ain't about how fast I get there 
Ain't about what's waiting at the top 
It's who I'm with (:

No comments: