I can’t believe Juan said all 12 of us, with the exception of Derene, looked like potatoes on stage. Whaaatt. I WAS swinging my hips, bobbing my head and tapping to the beat with my free hand AND right foot…until I accidentally screwed up one of the chords. And then I spent the rest of the songs staring at the keys. But that didn’t mean I stopped swaying and nodding in rhythm.
Boo.
No, I’m not angry at Juan for mentioning that (one needs constructive criticisms, as the he put it himself, to improve, no?). It just showed how the combination of simply being on stage, having an audience and the acute awareness of being assessed could be lethal and could change the quality, tone and mood of our playing. At least compared to how we sounded during last night’s practice.
Worst was, I couldn’t hear my strings part, not even a sliver. And it was the maximum volume on the Korg and tuned to 70% on the gain of the amplifier. Then again, strings and pads had always been like additives in food, something you didn’t really hear and pay much attention to till you extracted it and the music felt hollow.
Oh well. But we did enjoy ourselves up there, regardless of the fact we appeared to be blocks of wood strewn across the stage. I, for one, certainly did, whether it was because I loved the song (one of my favourites by Beatles) or I was still riding high on the positive energy from the practice 15 hours ago, I couldn’t tell.
So, cheers, Band 11, we’re officially done with our 3 treacherous assessments! Let’s pitch (in both contexts) ourselves for the finals!
Hmmm. Funny I should sound excited about doomsday.
P.S. Line is kind of slow. Will load the video next time. So keep an eye out for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment