Sunday, January 30, 2011

I am vindicated


“You should start reading something more mature, like Times or Off the Edge, not all those childish story books.”

Here is where you’re wrong, dad.

The magazines you want me to read may be informative and keeps me updated with current issues, but the novels I read teach me things too; they encourage me to be who I want to be, they erase the lines and show me a world with no boundaries, they define the word creativity for me, they teach me ethics, etiquettes, values and how to treat others, they give me the sort of happiness I can’t always find in this harsh world and without them, I probably would not have the open mentality I have today and would not know how to fight when everything is turned against me.

They may be just stories, but they teach me to be a better person and much more than your facts-based articles would ever teach me.

I will read them when I’m ready, I promise. And please don’t try to push me. You wouldn’t want me to hate them the way I hate Chinese novels, would you?

Besides, you were the one who started me on Enid Blyton and all those Classics. 

No comments: