Saturday, January 29, 2011

Say all I need

I hate people who tell their friends how to treat someone simply because of stories they heard from their friends in turn.

So your friend got into a shitty situation with this person and advises you to steer clear of him/her. Fine with that, she just wants you to not get hurt.

But what gives YOU the right to pass that judgment on to others?

YOU have not encountered with this supposed villain.
YOU have not been ambushed/mentally tormented/psychologically drained/lied in your face/ whatever evil doings by this supposed villain first handed.
YOU do not know this supposed villain personally.

And yet YOU are the one going all hormonal dysfunction over what your friend had been through and telling ME how to judge that particular individual. Never mind the person wasn’t your first prey, neither would it be your last.

Oh. So now YOU want to play God now and cast the die on how the world should judge people who did your friend wrong? Has it ever cross your lento mind that it might have been your friend’s fault?

YOU hissed into people’s ear about how your newly-listed nemesis is selfish, arrogant, a psychopath, a social pariah or plain weird. What about you then? Are YOU perfect? No, of course not. God made sure of that. But your actions clearly depict that YOU assume you ARE because only perfect people have the right to declare someone not behaving correctly and sentence him or her to isolation; though learned persons with personalities close to perfection would have broader and much more mature mindset than yours that they already knew judging others and spreading petty rumors wouldn’t get them anywhere. Unless you want to proof something to the Authority above; that you are perfect enough to mistreat others.

I must admit used to be like YOU. Dirty remarks were snuck cookies to me; I tasted and absorbed the flavor, believing what people said about a certain person in class, then without really bothering to know the victim of rumor well, as I was busy putting miles in between to prevent contamination, I told my friends how they should regard him or her.

But life has its ways in teaching me things. Because every time I flung out the wrong judgment boomerang, it circled back to conk me with being slotted into the same assignment group, lunching at the same table or stumbling into class to find myself sitting with the poor soul. And just like my head slowly gaining consciousness after the slam, I realized that whatever was said about the person was not true, or at least not as horrible as depicted. Nine of out ten were LIES. Maybe I’m being naïve, but don’t you think the energy wasted smirking the so-called freaks is better used doing something useful? Like, growing up?

I’m not saying you can’t judge others, because then that would be depriving you of a basic human right, and besides, judging is a protection against trusting people too easily. But just make sure you stop there.

I have NO respect for people who cross that line, friends or not. Would YOU want a stranger to think you as stingy simply because people who have a grudge against you tell him or her so? Even when you are not, or even when you have changed?

I’ll let you answer that.    

So grow up and get a life. Maybe then you can pass more papers in college.

No comments: