Saturday, January 8, 2011

Me, I want a hula hoop


They say we should always choose gifts for friends the way we would for ourselves.

Well, there are two faults in that. One, we are individual in our own rights, so they can’t bloody expect my friends to love the things that I do. An owl ring may be all good and suitable for Amanda and Jo, but I doubt many people outside our circle would appreciate it as much. Then again, they might mean knowing you friends well so you wouldn’t screw up in getting the wrong presents. But, taking that into consideration, there is still the factors of taste, favoritism, relevance, and whether he or she already has the object you have in mind.

Two, we would probably love the present so much that we end up getting an identical one to satiate our obsession; which explains why I have exact versions of Eu Chern’s and Amanda’s gift each, sitting on my bed and in the jewelry box. Aha. And I will confess, this isn’t the first time it has happened, nor can I assure you that this will be the last.

Huh. Buying gifts could be such a strenuous activity. Unless, of course, you simply don’t give a damn about it.

No comments: