Two words to sum up tonight’s concert: MIND BLOWN.
Like, “KA-BOOM”
And trust me, I’ve never used the term on ANY MPO-hosted performances before. Ever. Enraptured, yes. Breath-taken, yes. Inspired, yes. Dull and heavy, yes. Void of emotions thus no comment, yes. But mind blown? Non. Nay. Nary.
My condolences to the Classical enthusiasts for having their sacred, fervently preserved pieces twisted to bizarre proportions by Igudesman and Joo with seemingly much glee.
Of course, their virtuosity and eloquence in the ancient music are to be credited to the highest degree. No doubt their skills are the catalysts to mutate something rooted in Classical to Contemporary, which got me thinking…
>:) Guess who’s going to drill her Classical pieces soon? Nothing drives me more than the look of horror and disgust on Dr. P’ng’s face when he hears the jumbled-up, distorted version of his sanctified songs. Ah, my sweet, sweet revenge success.
And a superb motivation for me to amend my degrading viola skills. Hmmm. Speaking of which…
“People tend to assume that violas are bigger than violins. Wrong! Violas are NOT bigger than violins. It’s merely an optical illusion! You see, this is because violists have smaller heads than violinists.” I think it was from a short scene on the bipolar personalities of a violinist.
Incredulity was written all over my face.
Nah, I knew it was a joke. BUT STILL.
So, I confronted them after the autograph session and having my photo taken (dad insisted that I should queue up for an autograph or a picture with them and forcefully extracted the camera from my hands so that he could snapped as soon as I got close enough).
“I play the viola and my head’s not small,” I mock-indignantly told Aleksey Igudesman.
“Aww. Don’t get offended. It’s just a joke!”
“Haha. I know, it’s o-“
“You play the viola?” Richard Hyung-ki Joo looked as if he was witnessing some random predicament of his materialize.
“Yes…”
“Anyone else here plays the viola? No? So, you said you play the viola and your head’s not small?”
“Yeah…”
“No worries on that. It’s a joke about violinists. It’s just to say that violists are not big-headed.”
Whoa. Wicked twist in defense.
You’ve found yourselves a new fan here, mates.
Seriously, if every other MPO concerts were half as cracked up, I would have gladly and willingly take the time to purchase the tickets and even be dolled up in loathsome dresses and heinous heels, just to counteract my college’s torture device. My days would have been sheltered by an interminable stretch of student recital-free blue sky.
Emma in full formal wear. Priceless.
I guess there's no need to point out which of the 2 is Richard Hyung-ki Joo and which is Aleksey Igudesman.
No comments:
Post a Comment