Thursday, November 26, 2009

When I Was Little

Inspired by Trecia Tan, who in turn was inspired by Twitter (wth).

wheniwaslittle I thought that my dimple was a deformity and I would puff up my cheeks every time I smiled to fill up the hole.

wheniwaslittle I enjoyed giggling alone. Seriously, I could just stare at something, even someone, and simply explode in a fiery ceaseless flow of hee-haw for seemingly no reason. I’m beginning to wonder I was somehow autistic. Hmm…mom?

wheniwaslittle I played the piano extremely softly, more like fleeting across the keys with a feathery touch than pressing to sound them. Coz I thought that jabbing them would hurt the piano. I would even imagine its pitiful shrieking in my head.

wheniwaslittle I hated reading books. I would pout and fuss and loll about until my mom had to anchor herself beside me and clamp me down. Then I would go through the painstaking process of picking the shortest story (from Enid Blyton) and counting off the pages (sometimes even the sentences) one by one as I read.

wheniwaslittle I talked to my soft toys. Not dolls (they crept me out), but stuffed animals. I would tweak their heads to look at me while I spoke to them, then my hands would animate them as I squeaked their replies. Perhaps they were a different kind of imaginary friends. HAHA.

wheniwaslittle If I didn't like the soup I had to drink, which was most of the time, I would lick it like a cat so the bitter taste would not get to the back of my throat.

wheniwaslittle I relished sleeping in cupboard boxes. And cramping myself in tight and narrow spaced places. Ask my maid. I could hide in the oddest spots in my house. Squashed under the bed, the table or the lowest plank of an open cupboard; Snuggled within the folds of the thick wall-length curtains; Flatten behind doors. Honest. Either I was playing damsel in distress in my mind or suffocation was my kind of fun.

How retarded were you when YOU were little?

No comments: