I’ve been playing dodge ball with the impending manic semester for too long. I ducked, swerved, slithered, even dug a hole to cower in. But at the end of the day I got tired and just stood still and took the game in one stride. Nothing beats being hit by the harsh reality square in the face.
I can’t say that my break had been a productive one. If anything, it was a junkyard of wasted time, generously contributed by my idle mannerism. But let’s not view things from such a shady angle.
In the course of 8 weeks, I had stuffed myself with sweet, sugary delights and savory bites of Malacca yet again, strapped my legs to a treadmill while in Singapore, lived in a bungalow-sized refrigerator in Fraser’s, pretended to be tourists on our impromptu exploration around KL (not to mention doing a little stalking) and made a Ying Hui’s stubbornness-driven day trip up to Genting. And there were bits and pieces of outings in between, a couple of hours in Atria, a few more in 1U, an afternoon in Amcorp, twilight and beyond in MidValley, the list goes on.
Wanderings aside, what was holiday without books? I had managed to complete two. Hey, considering the mental external distractions, plus the insistent beckoning of my laptop and the virtual world, it was good process, okay?
Of course, no matter however colourful I painted my holidays to be, one can only dwell in escapism for so long, coz when the curtains were finally drawn, it all boils down to what I learnt. Oddly, and on a side note, I guess the biggest impact on me was environmental issues. The world struggle to reduce heat units to 350, the alarming percentage of carbon emission, the out-of-norm weather in various countries, the pressing need to limit global warming by 2 degree Celcius, the failed COP15 in Copenhagen…it’s saddening.
The world may not end tomorrow, nor will it in 2012, but what kind of state would you want the earth to be in to open your eyes to its wounds?
I won’t claim that I spend every waking hour licking up green news, my still-mild interest had not propelled me to do so, but I’m proud to say I had a dosage of it from time to time, enough to keep me aware and be truly worried for the coming years.
So yeah. My 61-day-stretch of freedom summarized in a pitiful 400-word post.
Now I'm just waiting for my alarm clock to shrill.
No comments:
Post a Comment