Thursday, December 24, 2009

Last Christmas I Gave You My Heart

She put her pen down for the umpteenth time. Outside, flurries of snowflakes danced and twirled in fluttering sheets of white, gentle yet mesmerizing. Just like his smile. She winced involuntarily. That was her, always too caught up with the beauty of drifting snow, never pausing to wonder about the morning after, when the magic was gone and all that was left was picking the slippery way through the half-melted slush with only the hard packed earth to catch her fall.

Silly, silly girl.

She stared at the blank paper on her lap, chewing her bottom lip.

I can’t believe I’m doing this.

She gingerly lifted her black fountain again and scrawled across the top line the 2 words that never felt out of place at this time of the year.

Dear Santa…

She saw herself again, precisely a year ago, sitting in the same armchair, his arms around hers as they both scribbled their letters together. She had not given much thought to her letter then. Why needed to anyway? She had everything she could ever wish for. So she had left hers empty, knowing someone else in the world deserved the chance to receive Santa’s gift.

But this year, that someone else happened to be her.

Dear Santa,
There is only one I ask of you, nothing more, nothing less. 
1) A new heart
Please?

She signed her name and placed it beside the traditional cookies and glass of milk. She smiled to herself. Old habits die hard.

Her finger hovered over the switch. Just one more thing.

P.S. I still believe in you.

No comments: