For the past 3 days, the 7 of us were like, thrown unsuspectingly into a dead-or-alive reality programme. One that bore the name
Survivor Asia: The Concrete Jungle
Honest. We had to endure a perilous journey to the island itself, conquer mountainous buildings, trudged through grey valleys with occasional scuttering crotchets (our music equivalent term for cockroaches), cross rivers of traffic and fend off threats from night creatures near our camp. And armed only with passports, cash and delicate music instrument-accustomed limbs.
But we pulled it off really well, didn’t we?
Screw our dehydrated bodies, aching heels, sore muscles, stiff joints and puffy eyes from deprivation of sleep, we relished the tortureadventure.
Night 1
NEVER EVER try to ride a train with upright seats. At least not on an interstate/cross-country trip. And especially not one where you spend a whole night on. Trust me.
Heed me not and thou shalt suffer.
I guess none of us predicted a 10 and a half hour of rattling voyage with us flopping like desiccating starfish. Blame the intellectually-challenged KTM conductor or whoever that managed the lighting. I mean, what kind of train does not switch off its lights on a night journey, or at least dim them? And the squashy butt-numbing seats did not help either.
Thank God there was a deck of cards, David Blaine and Andrew’s insanity.
Day 1
First bus ride. First crossing of roads utilizing the hiccupping pedestrian signals. First losing-our-way experience. First taste of hiking to every single destination.
Turned out we overshot it by a block. The only part of Betel Box that was visible was a narrow green door wedged between 2 dull-coloured flaking walls.
“So who’s the leader?”
All of a sudden, I became a magnet and everyone’s eyes and index fingers were iron pins.
Oh alright.
I just needed to collect their passports, wait for Justin to finish registering us and return them. Uh huh.
Forcefully dragged ourselves up 3 hours later. Still groggy but much bearable.
Started trekking towards Swee Lee music shop/factory/warehouse after lunch. First MRT ride, which would have been the most wicked transportation I had ever taken if not for the treacherously lethargic machine. Especially when prying for our deposit.
Your card has been refunded (from previous user). Please wait.
.
.
.
.
.
Return deposit. *Click*
Please insert card.
Processing and analyzing card.
.
.
.
.
.
Refunding.
.
.
.
.
.
A coin pooped out.
Anyway, Audrey, Carmen and I just pried and poked around the place since they didn’t have any woodwind instrument/accessories nor did they sell viola (why was I even surprised?). Jia Wen, Rachel, Andrew and Kevin listed down a bass amplifier, a bass guitar, an electric guitar and a wah-wah effect between them.
Day 2
First morning in Singapore. Woke up to the cold iron bars of the double-decker bed pressed against my forehead and the ceasing of the air-conditional. Spent seconds staring blankly at the alien cement floor before casting around for the others’ faces and thank God I did that. I didn’t need my first image of the day to be that hairy heaving chest of the man on the bunk facing mine.
A self-service breakfast of toast bread, tea/coffee and fruit and the marathon begun.
Planned to scout along Orchard Road but skies defied us. Stupid rain. So we retreated to Ion shopping mall’s Machines, some other random electronics shops and a couple of sports stores (to fulfill Jia Wen’s quest).
We continued on to Novena when the sun finally had the guts to shove the peeing clouds’ asses out of the way. Got directions from my aunt on getting to Sim Lim, the Singapore version of Lowyat, where Audrey made her first purchase: a jelly-shaped subwoofer twinned with a pair of speakers. Andrew called it the Mojojojo head.
The march back to Aljunied was like trying to wind up a rusted spring, our sore feet and thighs protesting in agony. Our batteries were literally drained. But it was worth it. My aunt and uncle treated us to our best meal there: white pepper- and chilli-flavoured massive Sri Lanka crabs, fried baby squids, steamed fish, those meaty brown Chinese mushroom, toufu and some dessert drink with soursop (I think there was one more dish but I just can’t seem to recall). OOH LA LA HEAVEN.
THANK YOU AH YI THANK YOU YI ZHANG (:
Burnt off a portion of the fats ingested with a stroll along the now-lit-up-in-a-kaleidoscope-of-colours Orchard Road. And out of the blue, Audrey, Rachel and I had a sugar rush. Yes you both did. Try and explain the crazed way we were hugging pillars with Taylor Lautner’s posters and racing against the escalator.
And the flow of adrenaline lasted us till 3am. As well as Carmen and Kevin. Like, WHOA.
P.S. I WANT WII!
Day 3
My aunt’s brilliant plan led us girls to Tampines for a day of shopping and the guys to both Swee Lees to collect the guitars and amplifier.
I didn’t see what I like. I didn’t like what I see. ‘Nuff said.
There was one thing though. But judging from the perplex look on their faces, I supposed everyone was against me buying that snowy fur ball of a bunny. AHA.
Can I have it as my birthday present then (and don’t attempt to give me that ludicrous reason Lee Jia Wen Rachel Ng Audrey Then Chia Carmen)?
No comments:
Post a Comment