I am a daredevil.
24 hours before my ominous annihilation, I had yet able to deliver 2 out of the 3 pieces without hesitating and fumbling and making them sound like clogged up river, yet to moil on Love Story for more than once with Rachel, yet to break down the arrangement that I finally managed to cough up just days ago to my other 2 accompanists, and yet, God forbid, to practically run through the song with the 3 of them together. It felt as if I was hoisting myself into position to launch into a full sprint without warming up the body. *Grimace*
But oh, I have not even got to the most audacious part:
I rearranged my song right before the exam.
I bloody altered the arrangement and instrumentation of Love Story a mere 180 minutes before I had to face the executioners.
Hell, I’m good at freaking myself out.
OK. So it was just a demand suggestion by Jia Wen that I could have chosen not to heed but I must say, it sounded somehow sweeter and fuller, minus the pitchy glitches. Plus, Rachel wanted backup on her cello part to amplify the supporting bass lines of the music and to blanket her mistakes
Thus, instead of thumping the bass drum, Quek ended up playing the violin, which was wicked, I tell you. She just sight-read and improvised on the spot. Like, whoa. Rachel too. She took barely a week to wrap it up and weave her part in with mine. Seriously, where do these people come from?! What do they eat?!
But anyhow, THANK YOU SO (X GAZILLION TIMES) MUCH RACHEL NG SOONG YAN, QUEK SHIO YEE AND PEE HUAY MAY! I couldn’t have done it without you girls (:
Hmmm. I realize the tone of this post is odd. Not the exuberance it was supposed to emanate. Probably because I’m still partially hollowed by the experience of striding right into the Jam Room half-prepared and threading the fine line between pass and fail.
DonotthinkaboutBlackOrpheus. DonotthinkaboutBlackOrpheus. DonotthinkaboutBlackOrpheus.
Tiny slips aside, I was considerably satisfied with my ‘All of Me’. The piano was detestable, though. My arms were already throbbing with the exertion and aching dully, and still the volume that left the piano was just enough to cover my squeak of incredulity. Boo. One of the most important exams in a semester and we were given an upright, malfunctioning piano. How preposterous.
Anyway, what’s past is past. No use crying over spilt milk. Not that I am.
IT’S TIME TO CELEBRATE, MATES!
Movies, Shogun, parties, shopping trip in Singapore, whatever, I’m all yours!
WheEEeEeEEeeeEeeeeeeEEeEEEEeee………!!!
Don't give me that look. Huay May started cam-whoring with my laptop first.
P.S. WHY DOESN’T IT RAIN?!
2 comments:
Oh god. It sounds like you just copied everything out of the thesaurus. You don't have to try to sound smart all the time.
I'm not. It's just a habit that got stuck on me since Mr William made us use a new term every single time we want to reuse the word.
Post a Comment