Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cause I've got an ear to provide, if you'll be content with the outside of me

I went with a sole intention to mark off another recital attendance. Instead, I got a wicked voice and acoustic guitar performance by Beau Bristow, with David Story as an opening act. It was refreshing, listening to something that wasn’t jazz or blues or anything from the appreciate-or-die category inscribed into the syllabus.

Yes. I’m not afraid to admit I’ll never love jazz. At least not the obsessive kind of love, like the way I devoted myself to punk rock once. I supposed it has a lot to do with the lyrics, or the lack thereof for jazz. Words affect me immensely. More than the melody, I think. Because the lyrics speaks a world about the composer and the singer. And my mood.

Anyway, their voices… *swoons* David’s reminded me of Chris Martin, especially when he was singing a cover of Viva la Vida. Loved the songs he wrote as well. And yes, David, you should definitely have ‘Heart and Soul’ on your next album! Beau’s voice was a mix of different artists whom I couldn’t pinpoint, but it was BEAUtiful all the same. His rendition of Chasing Cars was superb but I thought the guitar kind of drowned him out at the end when he was unleashing the power of Looping. I still loved the songs he composed better, with ‘Don’t Get Too Close to Me’ best. The lyrics spoke my mind. And it assured me that I wasn’t alone feeling that way (:

Sad that I couldn’t linger around longer to get their CDs or join them for lunch. Boo band coaching. I’m crossing my fingers they will be back soon.  

Please, School of Music, bring in more of this sort of awesome artists. Think of the bunch of jazz music misfits like me who know where their place in the scene is and want to venture deeper into it.   

Hey how ya doin'
How long has it been
Tell me your story 
But keep it nice and thin

Cause I've got an ear to provide
If you'll be content with the outside of me

Can't let you touch all that's inside
Don't get too close to me
Don't get too close to me
Can't let me feel what I can't hide
Don't get too close to me
Don't get too close to me

How 'bout this weather
How's your mom and dad
I like your hair short like this
I guess it must be easier to have

You can fill in the blanks 
With meaningless phrases we both say

I'm superficial, it's all that I know
I'm not sure, I've got the strength to begin
To let you see in between all the rest of me
Trapped behind 20 years of skin

I know, I know this intimate disaster
I know, I know that all it takes is time
I know, I know my heart is wrapped in plaster
I know, I know your arms are open wide

No comments: