Earth Riff
By Tan Ai Jia, Tham Ying Hui
[Verse]
Have you ever imagine
That one day we wake up and there’s no light
How would you tell your children
That the world was a kaleidoscope of colours
Have you ever imagine
One day the earth stop spinning and there’s no tomorrow
How would you ever know
That you could live your dreams in reality
[Pre-chorus]
Time is slipping away
The earth is starting to fade
[Chorus]
Switch on your love and light up the earth
Hold up your paint brush, give the grass a green lush
Let the river flow and nature glow
Time won’t wait so lend us your hand
[Verse]
Have you ever imagine
That one day we wake up and there’s no light
How would you tell your children
That the world was a kaleidoscope of colours
[Pre-chorus]
Time is slipping away
The earth is starting to fade
[Chorus]
Switch on your love and light up the earth
Hold up your paint brush, give the grass a green lush
Let the river flow and nature glow
Time won’t wait so lend us your hand
[Bridge]
Open your eyes to the waves of disasters
Tune your ears to the cries of the planet
Forest fires eat trees and spit out haze
Houses dance and spin their way up the hurricane
Melting of ice-caps lick cities with a blue tongue
Ashes of erupted volcano invade the lungs
In the end, it's not they, he or she
It just boils down to you and me
[Chorus]
Switch on your love and light up the earth
Hold up your paint brush, give the grass a green lush
Let the river flow and nature glow
Time won’t wait so lend us your hand
As much as I hate composing with a deadline looming over me and with guidelines or specifics to steer me rather than my mood and inspiration, I'm beginning to appreciate and accept Song Writing as a platform to experiment with the resources I have and stage the bullshit my mind produces without being thrown tomatoes at, rather than just another subject I have to pass. Granted, I don't learn as much as I do in the practical-based classes but hey, nothing beats knowing where I stand in this aspect of music. I write lyrics. As opposed to composing the melody. Yes. My poems still make people puke but I guess it just needs time. And plenty of research. And a fucking lot of trial and error.
But I'll get there one day. Just like how I did with my once-disastrous writing ability. Just like my still lamentable piano-playing knowledge. Just like every damn skill I acquired.
Sucks that I'm a late bloomer.
No comments:
Post a Comment